As an Teaching Artist, my workshops include but are not limited to:
- The “Common Core” of Storytelling in the Classroom This workshop demonstrates how to use storytelling in the classroom to meet Common Core State Standards. Teacher will learn how to effectively develop and present lesson plans that meet state standards using an arts integrated experience.
- Stories From the Heart of the Baobab Tree This workshop teaches teachers to use the ancient techniques of storytelling to inspire, enlighten, and encourage students to seek out and learn universal values such as trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Storytelling for Parents This workshop teaches parents the ABC’s of storytelling to their children.
- Express Your Soul This workshop teaches educators how to use “Spoken Word” (poetry and storytelling) with students to help them find their creative voices.
- Agoo! Amee! Call and Response This short workshop teaches educators how to use traditional call and response words, phrases and songs to keep students engaged during classroom instruction time.
As an Teaching Artist, my residencies include but are not limited to:
- In the Beginning was the Story In this residency students will learn the elements of storytelling and use them to tell or retell traditional folktales. The students will also write their own versions of a folktale based on one of the stories learned during the residency.
- Anansi Stories: From Africa To America This residency features the many tales of the trickster Anansi the spider. These stories show up in all the places captured Africans were relocated to, including the Caribbean and the Deep South of the United States. These stories feature life lessons many that point out the consequence of bad behavior. Stories include: Anansi and the Snake (told in Jamaican dialect), Why Anansi Has a Little Waist, Anansi and the Turtle, Fling-a-mile, Anansi and the Liars Contest, Anansi and the Candlefly etc.
- Stories From From The Heart Of The Baobab Tree This residency uses the ancient technique of storytelling to inspire, enlighten and encourage students to seek out and learn universal values such as trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship this residency.
- Parables About People This residency teaches students how stories can teach life lessons learned through fictional characters. Stories include Three Brothers Who Go Out To Find Death, The Meat of the Tongue, The Gluttonous Rich Man, The Bravest Of All Warriors,
- Stories From Around The World This residency features stories that originate from around the world. Stories in this performance come from Africa, India, Europe, Asia, and America.
I prefer to work with students in their classrooms, and not crowd two classrooms into one room.
|Full day including Professional Development is $1000.00|
|School day – $700.00 (Up to four 50-minute classroom workshops)|
|Half day – $400.00 (Two 45-minute classroom workshops)|
|Full day Professional Development – (Four 50 min sessions $800.00)|
|Residencies – (Please call for quotes)|
Workshop time: Short 45 minute workshops to full day staff development..
Residencies duration: Single 50 minute classroom residencies or multi-day residencies depending on client needs.
Facilitator space: Minimum 15 x 15 feet
Sound: I can bring my own sound system or use available PA.
Preparation time: Set up open classroom space: 10 minutes depending on space provided.